The number of questions you answer in the Data Collection Tool depends on the Step that you choose. Step 1 includes the minimum number of questions, and Step 2 and Step 3 include additional questions on top of the Step 1 questions. Before starting their self-assessment, facilities select the Step in the Facility Profile. Step 1 is the default Step selection. The facility can change this choice to Step 2 or 3.
- Step 1 “Essential” covers key social & labor compliance questions, mostly connected to International Labor Standards (ILS) and National Labor Laws (NLL).
- Step 2 “Progressive” additionally includes questions on management systems and questions that are supportive of social & labor compliance questions but less critical. These questions are often found in social industry/ certification/ brand standards.
- Step 3 “Advanced” covers questions that go above and beyond social responsibility industry standards, are not required by national or international law, and seek to elevate workplace well-being and community impact. Step 3 includes all Step 1 and Step 2 questions.
Which Step should I choose?
The Tool has been created with the idea that the most relevant social compliance questions are covered under Step 1. However, facility needs can be different, and facilities, therefore, have options to choose from. Facilities should consider the following points when making their Step choice:
- Buyer requirements: Most (larger) brands and standards require Step 2 as Step 2 covers questions found in social industry standards or brand codes of conduct. Check this list to understand the requirements of your brand partner.
- Management system: If you have written policies and procedures to manage your facility's operations (and social compliance) choose Step 2 to showcase your management system.
- Size: If your facility is of a smaller size (e.g. less than 250 workers), it is likely that Step 1 will be the most appropriate for you.
- Ambition level: If you have a high ambition level on social performance (e.g. worker well-being and community programs), choose Step 3.